Nagata Shachu (Photo: David Ohashi)
On July 16, Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced the recipients of the Foreign Minister’s Commendations for 2019. Within the jurisdiction of the Consulate-General of Japan in Toronto, the following individual and organizations were awarded the commendations due to their exceptional accomplishments.
- Name: Ito Shinya
- Title: Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto
- Reason for Commendation: Promotion of mutual understanding between Japan and Canada
- Name: Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club
- Achievement: Promotion of mutual understanding through sports between Japan and Canada
- Name: Canadian Japanese Cultural Centre of Hamilton
- Achievement: Promotion of Japanese Culture in Canada
- Name: Nagata Shachu
- Achievement: Promotion of cultural exchange through art between Japan and Canada
The Foreign Minister’s Commendations are awarded to individuals and groups with outstanding achievements in international fields, in order to acknowledge their contributions to the promotion of friendship between Japan and other countries and areas. The Commendations also aim to promote the understanding and support of the Japanese public for the activities of the recipients.
Further information on the Foreign Minister’s Commendation is available here: https://www.mofa.go.jp/press/release/press4e_002516.html